Sunday, August 16, 2020 – The race is still on!
Think you have what it takes? Come join us and find out by registering for the Black Squirrel Triathlon! The race is open to ages 18 & older, both individuals and teams! Proceeds will benefit Council Bluffs, Parks, Recreation and Public Property, Council Bluffs YMCA, and Iowa Department of Natural Resources-Lake Manawa.
Swimmers take to the water at Lake Manawa for the first leg (750 yd swim) of the Black Squirrel Triathlon. Bikers will start at Lake Manawa State Park Beach and bike around the lake 2 times for a total of 13 miles. The Black Squirrel Triathlon will conclude with a 3.1-mile run on City trails (1.55 out and 1.55 back to the finish line).
COVID-19 Safety Best Practices:
The objective is to maintain distancing throughout the race for all individuals including volunteers, participants, race staff, race officials, etc. The bulleted points outline the measures that will be taken, which follow medical guidance and public health recommendations.
- All athletes, race staff, and volunteers will be required to have their temperature checked upon arrival using our touchless thermometers. We encourage everyone to self-monitor themselves prior to coming to the race. Do not come to the race if you feel ill.
- No More than 3 to 4 bikes per rack with open racking for all participants. We are NOT marking bike spots using your number. Please spread out appropriately in the transition area. We will have plenty of extra racks so spreading out should be easy.
- All volunteers will be wearing masks.
- Athletes are requested to wear face masks pre-race, but not required to wear a mask while racing.
- We will be having a time trail start. We will have groups of no more than 20 lined up at least six feet apart designed by their color cap (duathletes will be a separate group). Each athlete starts in the water one a time approximately every 5 to 10 seconds.
- When your group color is called proceed to starting area and line up on any of the numbered spots starting at 1. It will take each group about 3 minutes to enter the water similar to a wave start but everyone is spread out.
- When finishing the race, please cross the finish line and continue moving until at least 100 feet past the finish line.
- After leaving the finish line area, we will assist in retrieving race gear and bike when it is safe. The objective is to leave the race venue as soon as you are able to retrieve your gear and bike.
- The timer will not be providing or posting any times at the timing trailer. We will be posting them in real-time. It may take a few minutes to update the results.
- There will be no Award Ceremony following the race. We plan to either mail awards and/or arrange for a curbside pickup at our office (local).
- A finisher closed bag including nutrition, water, finisher medal, will be placed at the finish line. Please take one bag.
- Once it is safe to enter the transition area to retrieve your gear and bike, we will make an announcement. Do not enter the transition until we make an announcement.
- USA Triathlon rules dictate passing on the bike single file on the left side within 15 seconds and maintaining at least 3 bikes lengths.
- Once participants reach the run course, there will be a significant distance between each participant. However, when passing any athlete, please pass quickly. Do not run alongside any participant.
- Water stations will have closed water bottles only. No volunteers will be handling water to participants. Please feel free to bring your own hydration throughout the race too.
- Portable toilets will be spread out. Participants will need to wait for usage at least ft apart and toilets will be cleaned after each use by a volunteer or race staff.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the venue. Please bring your own as well.
Swimmers take to the water at Lake Manawa for the first leg (750 yd swim) of the Black Squirrel Triathlon. Bikers will start at Lake Manawa State Park Beach and bike around the lake two times for a total of 13 miles. The Black Squirrel Triathlon will conclude with a 3.1-mile run on city trails (1.55 mile out and 1.55 mile back to the finish line).